Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I Tuned In

1 Billion songs have now been downloaded from iTunes. Think about that, that is a freaking ton of music purchased in an entirely new way than in the past. No physical media accompanying the purchase, just ones and zeros. Go back 8 years ago when I first started playing with MP3's and tell me that would happen in 8 years, let alone less than 3, and I would have been amazed.

The reason I knew the contest was over, is that when I logged into the iTMS tonight, I saw the counter getting dangerously close to the 1 billion mark. I had a few songs I needed to buy, so after refreshing a bit, and trying to guess the rate at which they were being bought, I grabbed my songs. I of course bought each one individually to try and maximize my winning opportunities. I was slightly disappointed when after I thought for sure the counter would have rolled, I watched it actually back up -- thus proving what I initially knew, that the counter was mostly just for show. Anyway, I gave it my best shot. Others around me would have no doubt liked me winning those 10 iPods, as I would have given almost all of them away. The 20" iMac was mine all mine though, and I can't even imagine having the $10,000 iTunes card.

Good show Apple. Now just quit breaking hymn.

No comments: