Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Any color you want as long as it's black

Some guy who is obsessed with three stripes or something recently wrote about the new photocasting support in iPhoto. It all sounded grand when handed down from upon high by Jobs, only to turn into an exercise in proprietary methods and mis-implementation of pseudo-standards.

There are many gripes about this around the net. Dave Winer, the credited creator of RSS, providing as usual some of the most vehement. Today I found a page with the most truly informative postings about it that I have seen yet. These guys are an order of magnitude above me in their understanding of XML and RSS. Not surprising, as they were in it from the beginning, which makes things much easier, and the fact that I just don't have time to keep up with the whole of all technologies.

I was glad to find someone on that page had created a Greasemonkey script (screenshot) that I could add to Firefox to make those photocasting pages as least usable in their current, standard-smashing form.

As usual, big company provides something bad, open source hackers find a slick way around it. Good job guys.

No comments: