Sunday, April 9, 2006

About Time

I love Firefox. I really love Firefox extensions, that is where the true value of the browser shows up to me. What I don't like, is that extensions aren't easy to keep up-to-date. Since there are a steady stream of bugfixes, new features, and workarounds being developed, that is very unfortunate.

It seems to me that the 1.0x branch of Firefox did a reasonable job of keeping most extensions updated, at least those from either mozdev or addons.mozilla.org anyway.

Then, when the 1.5x (deer park) branch was being developed, there were promises of a much better updater for Firefox. It was going to more granular, allowing for only necessary pieces to be downloaded and updated, and it was going to be much more reliable. However, the only real change I have seen to this point is that my extensions now never updated on their own, despite screenshots such as this leading to believe to the contrary:


This wasn't going to last long though, so here is an extension which takes care of automatically notifying/updating when extensions are updated. Very nice.

I found this tip through Lifehacker once again.

No comments: