Thursday, April 13, 2006

30 Boxes, we hardly knew ye

RIP 30boxes. I was really digging using this, and I have gotten a lot of good use out of having an online calendar; however, things have changed.

No, I'm not ditching the online calendar, it has just been done much, much better. Google calendar is now officially in beta (which is the same as saying release for the rest of the world). I've been a bit down on Google lately, because I even though I can't live without gmail anymore, their more recent releases have not impressed me a bit. Calendar is every bit as good as gmail though.

Everything I liked about 30boxes is still there. The interface is as good as I think it could be, everything is easy to find and navigate. I love that you can select either the quick event add, or a more detailed one. Coolest of all, they implemented the feature that we said they absolutely needed. Gmail will now prompt you if a message appears to have an event in it, and you can add it to your calendar. Integration at its finest.

Calendar sharing and delegating is retained, and RSS feeds are available, something I found very useful with 30boxes. Popup reminders are included, which 30boxes did not offer.

The last thing to find out is what type of iCalendar support is included. Overall though, I see Google having the killer calendar/email integration for me.


Some quick updates:
It looks like for now iCal importing is limited to a standard browse and upload form. This could be done a little smoother. Not sure if there is anyway currently to use a website's iCalendar file without first saving it offline.

Not really a calendar issue, but there needs to be a Calendar link from Gmail. I smell a Greasemonkey script in the making...

1 comment:

crturboguy said...

The biggest thing that sucks about iCal importing right now is that if you have more than one to import, the import takes you back to the main calendar page when you hit ok - it doesn't give you the option to import another. There is a way around that though, just click on one of the other 'function' titles at the top next to the import tab and then go back to import, you can upload another file now. I'd really like the ability to upload multiple files, but that may be in the works.

--JOsh