Friday, March 17, 2006

Google Bomb

A while back a site I read announced that Google was going to be trying out a web-based HTML editor, named Google Page Creator. The site was pages.google.com. At the time it was so backlogged that registration was closed, and you had to sign up to be notified when you could use it.

I signed up, thinking "Google makes really slick web pages. If they have an editor that makes it easy to create nice pages like that, I'm all for it." Well, I got my account today, and I found myself more than a little underwhelmed by it all. The whole thing reminds me of back in the day using templates on sites like geocities and tripod (use the wayback machine youngsters in the crowd). I found it very limiting, and I couldn't even bring myself to add any kind of useful content. I'm just not sure what this product is trying to do now, it's definitely not something for me.

Google, quit wasting time on crap like this, and get our web-based iCalendar program, tied in with Gmail, completed.

Here is a link to my very, very basic page, if you want to see what type of code their generator produces.

1 comment:

---ryan said...

Yay, looks like "MyFirstWebPage".

The thin spread of Google is starting to show. I agree, they need to focus in and get some solid products in play. As nifty as Gmail and Google talk are, they barely hang on as products that I use. They can be easily ousted at this point. If they'd pull talk + gmail + blogger + calendar together (and single login), I don't see how I'd stray.