Tuesday, December 27, 2005

SupaKewl

First, before I start with the main topic of this post, do yourself a favor (by following these simple steps):
  1. Use Firefox exclusively as your web browser (if you weren't already, and if so, why not?).
  2. Install the Sage RSS reader extension.
  3. In sage, add the following as a live bookmark: http://lifehacker.com/index.xml
Seriously, do this and you will benefit greatly. I often talk about new sites that are my favorites, but Lifehacker is far and away the best I have found in a long time. My last favorite, uneasysilence, I figured out appealed to my old, college, borderline-legal, hacker self. Lifehacker instead appeals to the current me who is always looking to simplify, make technology work for me rather than hinder me, and who likes well-designed and straightforward sites.

Using Firefox and Sage to view the site are just my way of prodding you to help yourself.

Okay, on to the story. Lifehacker had an article up today about messing with MSN messenger. I didn't think much of it at first, as almost everyone I care to IM with has switched to Google Talk. However, this site kicks tail. I really liked MSN messenger, other than the bloat and unneeded features it presented. Much like every cell phone introduced in the last 5 years. Thanks to this site, my MSN messenger window looks as follows: (sorry, no users are shown to protect the uninnocents)

I know what you're thinking. "Oh, that has to be 'shopped" or "He just downloaded an older version". Nope, this is the latest and greatest 7.5. Oh, it gets better when you see the message window (Again, user IDs have been removed):


Notice the lack of those stupid nudge, wink, and pack icons? Sweet.

If you want to trim it down even further, that is possible too. I just trimmed it to the point where I liked it. Now, I have a dilemma. Do I stick with Google Talk or switch back to MSN? It's nice to have the choice now at least.

If you are interested in trying this, click on the link I provided. The site is very messy, but all you really care about is the little download box on the top left. Download the latest MSN messenger, and the corresponding patch. Install Messenger, close it, and then run the patch. Happy trails.

2 comments:

---ryan said...

Very interesting. I still need messenger to talk with work folks that don't use Google Talk so I will definitely make use of this.

As for switching away from Google Talk, if they would add true multi-user chats, with invite, I don't know why I would leave them.

A scratch pad for pasting in pictures and files would be nice too :)

Jason said...

My question was more the opposite. Why do I really want to keep using Google Talk?

I switched because it was very minimal. I have that now with MSN, along with some of the features I felt were missing from Talk. I'll have to think about this a bit more.