Saturday, April 2, 2005

"We roll tonight, to the guitar bite"

I discovered something very cool this evening.

I am very good about finding deals, and making the most of our money. I tend to seek out the best ways to save/make money and keep our spending as low as possible. One technique I have used for quite some time is always finding the best deals on credit cards.

Now, this doesn't mean I find the lowest rate. I couldn't give a rip what the interest rate is actually, as I always pay it off in full every month. What I look for instead is the best rewards. In the past this has involved points, miles, etc. Now, I am only interested in cards that give a cash back percentage in some form. I can always find a use for cash, so this makes the most sense to me.

My current card gives a huge percentage on things like gas and groceries (5 percent on both counts) and one percent on everything else. It just so happens that in the past I hadn't been able to use the grocery discount though. Superstores like Wal-Mart and such don't count, and our local store, Fareway, only accepted debit cards. Having worked at Fareway for several years and knowing how the organization is structured, I did not expect that fact to change.

Imagine my surprise when as I am paying for my groceries tonight, the checker asks "Debit or Credit"? I'm so used to hearing that now, that I disregarded it at first. I then stepped back and said, "Wait a minute, I can pay with credit now?"

It turns out I could. When I asked how long that had been in effect, I was told since last July. What??? Why wasn't I aware? Oh well, now I know...and knowing is half the battle.

No comments: