Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Super-cool web goodness

I always like when I run across some new web technology (no, I won't call it web 2.0). I'm still amazed daily at some of the stuff people can pull off. It's especially great when it does something very useful, in a very intuitive and clean way, and then a bonus when it is applied as a fairly old technology.

Lifehacker pointed me today to a site that allows you to take fully-interactive snapshots of any website. By snapshot, I mean it is literally as if you snagged a piece of the site verbatim. The throwback part is that it possible to create it as an image map, not just an actual graphic. All hyperlinks and images, as well as layout, are completely retained.

Obviously, there are some copyright issues to consider here. This is substantially different than just linking to a page. However, if you own the content, this is awesome. Here's a snapshot from this blog to show as an example:



I was initially just going to add this to my Google Reader shared items, but decided it was just too good and needed to be posted. However, I thought I would throw in here how much I am digging Google's new feature that shows your friend's shared items right in reader. It lets me basically have a feed of things I probably wouldn't run across, and they are from people who have mostly similar interests to my own. A very nice addition.

2 comments:

---ryan said...

That is a cool tool.

As for the shared items. I'm conflicted on that. Google stepped in a hole a bit with that auto-on sharing feature. Read all about it at http://fhonearth.blogspot.com/2007/12/google-reader-shares-private-data-ruins.html

Sharing with friends is a tough line to walk. They have to make it easy, so they can't really have you manually share each individual item, but there are plenty of things you might want to share with some friends and not others which is why emails that say "check this out" will live on for awhile longer.

Jason said...

Agreed, they might have jumped the gun a bit and hit some privacy concerns.

I think they have addressed them quite well now though. There have been a ton of posts about how to control what you share. I'm guessing they put a team of some pretty good people on that to get it fixed quickly.

I haven't had a use for it yet, but I like that you can now with one click make any tag public or private, not just the shared items.