Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Why Google, Why?

Others have talked about how they really like the personalized Google homepage, and even the new themes. I personally no longer use a homepage, I never really close my browser so it wouldn't make much sense. I tend to just bounce between a few Google applications for the most part.

However, even those I know who do like the homepage would have to question Google's latest move I'm guessing. Since its start, the personalized page was at http://www.google.com/ig (OMG, how did I just link to your personalized homepage? --fun with n00bs). Apparently, that "ig" now stands for "iGoogle", complete with an ass-tastic logo and all.

Google, you should know better. Why did you stoop to this lowness?

1 comment:

---ryan said...

To me, a homepage isn't the first page the loads when you open your browser anymore. It's more just that familiar launching point that I always return to and view dozens of times a day to see RSS feeds, Gmail notifications, stock quotes, and weather.

I'm not quite as annoyed as you seem to be. I agree, the "i" names are played out and getting downright annoying. At least they didn't call it googlr.

If they'd just combine the "My Services" list from the "My Account" page with the personalized Google homepage, I'd be quite happy. I'm pissed that I have to include the Google Reader and calendar widgets just to have easy link access to them.