Wednesday, May 30, 2007

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

Well, real life has kept me quite busy (a good thing, as I have pretty much been living outdoors playing with the kids), so some of my online projects have gone a bit neglected. This blog would be one of those things.

Something came up today though that is extremely cool, and worth discussing. Google in August of last year bought a company named Neven Vision, who specialized in Biometrics. Why, you ask? Well, specifically the part of biometrics that they were interested in initially was facial recognition. Now you see where I'm going with this, who thinks that both Google image search and Picasa could benefit from being able to find photos with faces of people in them? I certainly see a large value in that.

Today (it may be gone by the time you read this), they are testing some of this functionality on their image search page. Add the following modifier "imgtype=face" to the end of an image search, and you can see what I mean. Example: change http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&q=jobs&btnG=Search+Images to http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&q=jobs&btnG=Search+Images&imgtype=face
and you will be greeted with the face of that billionaire who lives on that infinite loop thingy.

Very good stuff. Now, back to my hiatus status for at least a week.

1 comment:

---ryan said...

Nice map. Google My Maps is a great tool.

You scared me. I thought this was one of those "I'm not going to blog anymore" posts. I've seen too many blogs that I enjoy slow to a trickle or die completely. Please don't add your name to that list.