Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Underwhelming Sound of Zune

At this point Zune has been covered nearly ad-nauseum, and it wasn't even released until today. However, like others, I have some quick thoughts of my own.

I was in Wal-Mart today, and I walked near the digital audio players (DAP for all the cool kids out there) section. I immediately saw one of the new pink iPod nanos, as well as the incredibly cool piece of design that is the new shuffle. I stood there and drooled over the new shuffle, looked over the selection as a whole and then moved on.

Only then, did I realize I had walked right past the Zune display without taking any notice whatsoever. There weren't any big signs, just some small ones that said both Microsoft and Zune. I looked at it, and realized that if it weren't made by Microsoft I never would have even given it a glance. (Somebody please post in the comments the link to the Zune-poo comparison).

Microsoft better hope that their name and the silly music sharing feature are enough. I don't see much else here to make it compete with Creative or iRiver, let alone Apple.

2 comments:

---ryan said...

Do you mean this link?
http://www.microsoftshitbrick.com/

I'll say it again. I like the brown color.

Anonymous said...

I did the exact same thing. Walked right by the damned thing. 2nd time by I noticed it, and took a few moments to play with it. Immediately became frustrated with the lack of the scroll wheel, and moved on.

Good luck, Microsoft. You're gonna need it. I'm not convinced the few cool new features are enough to pull people away from easy navigation.