Sunday, August 27, 2006

Just Go With It

I tried to resist it for a long time. I critiqued, I avoided, I was mostly perplexed at it all, but in the end, I became a MySpace user.

I had an account login for quite some time. I'm assuming MyPoints or somebody gave me points/money/karma for signing up, but I had never actually even filled in any information about myself on it.

I blame Ryan, among others for me slipping into the grip. Ryan points out this killer mix from Stone Lions, and we ordered a pressed copy of it. To do so, I had to contact them via their MySpace page (you really do need to check them out).

While there, I decided I would just fill in the schools portion of my profile, in case a former classmate wanted to find me or something. Well, one did almost immediately and sent me a message. While checking if my CD had shipped, I went and read the message. She said I should fill out more of my profile, so I did. Then of course I started browsing around, added some friends, and the tailspin begins...

I'm still amazed that MySpace of all places won the social networking battle for people. Their interface and site really are pretty primitive. However, the value of this type of site really lies in the number of people, and they have that.

Now, hopefully you've made it this far. I actually found a pretty cool group on MySpace just yesterday. They happen to be Hip-Hop, and they just so happen to be from Cedar Rapids also. Good stuff from what I have heard thus far, check them out: http://www.myspace.com/beeinz.

No comments: