Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Opt-In

It's late, I'll keep this one short and simple.

Why do I need to receive 3 dead-tree versions of the phone book every year? Better yet, let me ask this, why do I need any? Google can find pretty much anything, if not, I can probably find it online somewhere else such as the dreaded QwestDex. I don't need this fat books duplicated and sitting on my shelves anymore.

Thus, I figured I would hop online and find how to stop receiving them. Turns out that isn't really easy to do yet though. This group is trying to get it done, but they really haven't gotten anywhere yet.

I do like their push to make it opt-in, rather than opt-out though. This is how everything should be. Don't assume you have my implicit permission, come and ask for it, or wait for me to ask you. Opt-out is only slightly better than having no choice at all.

In the meantime, if someone knows a trick to kill off some of these phone books, let me know.

1 comment:

---ryan said...

Steve Martin will be sad if you have your way.

"The new phonebooks are here. The new phonebooks are here."