Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Lists

I've always been a list type of guys (and piles). My method for remembering and organizing things falls into those categories. I create piles sorted by where things need to go, or what needs to be done. These usually are just short-lived, but have been known to stay around longer than they probably should.

When I need to actually keep track of things to do though, I make extensive use of lists. They lists have taken numerous forms over the years. Pieces of paper, written on the back of my hand, in a text file on a computer, on a web page on my computer, etc. Paper is where I almost always end up at again though, although usually accompanied by at least one list as well.

Recently, my number of things to do has increased exponentially, while my time to do any of them has decreased to almost nothing. This led me to having far too many lists. Being a lifehacker reader, I realized I needed to find a way to let technology help me solve this.

An online list program would solve many of my problems. I could have a single list, in one location, that I could reference and work on from anywhere. It could be dynamic by being computerized, and perhaps I could even find some cool software that helped me in other ways I had not yet foreseen. After a very brief bit of searching, I determined that remember the milk had all of the features I wanted, and had a very nice user-interface.

So far, I am incredibly impressed with the ease-of-use, and the ways that I am finding to group my data to make it simpler to digest. I knew for certain that I was in the right place though when I added my first todo item to my personal list. I had an item that needed to be done by tomorrow. So, when it asked for a due date, I typed "tomorrow". Lo and behold, the software actually translated it into tomorrow's date. Freaking fantastic.

So, how does everyone else out there keep track of all of this crap, and have you come up with any other interesting tips or tricks?

No comments: