Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Rock and Roll, the Cola Wars, I can't take it anymore

I am a Mountain Dew drinker. Unfortunately I drink it in very large quantities, can't seem to stop from drinking it, and do not have an acceptable soft-drink substitute. I have watched with dismay over the years though as more and more places have become exclusively Coke.
In college, I watched as all 3 large Iowa public Universities switched to be exclusively Coke. This was accomplished by Coke bringing in new machines, doubling the cut the Universities received, and providing athletic sponsorship. I was not happy.
Subway has always had what I considered to be the best Mountain Dew from a fountain machine anywhere. I went to one this past week and found they were now Coke. Company mandate. I found out that Coke had swung this deal by buying Subway all of those fancy sub toasting machines that they now feature. I'm sure they threw in some additional percentages as well.
Later that same week, I visited Wendy's only to find that they too were now on the Coke bandwagon. This was expected though, as we had noticed prior that when you ordered a Pepsi product, it actually showed up as a corresponding Coke product on the screen. Obviously their software was updated before they could roll out the new machines.
So, the net effect is I can't go to any fast food burger joint, my favorite mainstream sub shop, or my alma mater and find anything to satisfy my addiction. Pepsi just seems to continue allowing Coke to walk all over them. Very annoying on one hand, but maybe if it disappears entirely I can finally break my habit.

No comments: