Friday, March 30, 2007

New Music Found

I really enjoy finding entirely new music, both new artists and new forms of music. This is usually especially good when found in the context of a live show. The energy and sound from a live show is still unmatched by any recording medium I have found.

Last night, I took Shannon to a concert by Patty Griffin. I have discussed her recently in my 5 of the now album post. Her portion of the show was tremendous. Her band was awesome, the Englert Theater in Iowa City is a great place to hear a small show, and her voice made perfect use of that setting. They ranged from slow, bluesy numbers, to soft folk ballads, to some rocking guitar licks. All great stuff.

Her drummer for the evening happened to be a member of her opening act, Terremoto. I knew absolutely nothing about these guys coming into the night, but they were awesome as well. The band is just 2 guys, but they play a wide assortment of instruments, ranging from the stand-up bass to bongo drums. Their music is primarily Latin and Cuban, with strong Brazilian influences. They also did a very cool New Orleans Jazz number. Primarily their songs are instrumental, but both members also have vocal portions for several of the songs. Great stuff, definitely worth a listen.

Update: Ryan nicely points out that their music is available from iTunes.
I believe their next album will be on CDBaby as is their current one, so I may go that route to try to pad their pockets a bit more.

1 comment:

---ryan said...

I'm really enjoying the Terremoto. You forgot to mention their stuff is available in the iTunes store.

I plan to pick up some tracks tonight.