Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Partly Crappy, chance of rain

Just a short post, and a question. Why does Blogger's spellcheck and search (or lack thereof) sucks so much?

I wanted to find a certain blog the other day, and only remembered part of the name. Blogger gave me no way to search for this. The only search ability was to search a specific blog. Even that just takes me to google.com and does a "site:" search. Other sites have cleanly integrated Google searches, why can't a Google subsidiary manage this?

Their spellcheck is equally or even more pathetic. Okay, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that it might know words such as blog, given the nature of the site? Then, I had typed "abou" and it didn't even think to suggest "about", and in fact asked me if I was really sure before allowing me to change it. Just an example, but a good example of how badly it works. Come on Google, you were able to pull off a moon-mapping site, but you can't integrate some search and spellcheck?

Try this for fun - spellcheck something with an apostrophe in it. Yeah, cool huh? A little later I realized I was dumb for even using Blogger's check. I have spellbound installed for Firefox, use that and everything's cool, everything's smooth.

No comments: